Sunday, July 1, 2012

We now return you to your regularly scheduled program...

 Or at least a program that includes running! Woo hoo! Okay I won't get too far ahead and say it's really "running"; it's a walk/run program. Basically, I get to build up time and intervals over a 6 week period until I can keep running for 10 minutes straight. I asked my doctor if it were even feasible for me to consider training for the Anthem Richmond Half Marathon in November and he said yes. Well, yes as long as the walk/run program is successful. I have to believe that it will be successful, which means that I will have to do everything in my power to ensure my success. So I have to be sure I am taking my time, following the program, and not pushing beyond my comfort zone. That mindset is tough for me. That mindset is NOT what I had when I pushed myself to my literal breaking point.


 I have no desire to be sidelined for another 3+ months. The mental and physical anguish of being unable to do something I love is still painfully fresh in my mind. I still look at other runners with more than a hint of jealousy. My friends' posts of their long runs, or even daily runs, still pluck my nerves. Yes, I know it's not their fault I was injured. But the green eyed monster is never rational! I have to tell myself that this 12 minutes of running combined with 12 minutes of walking is 12 minutes more than I was capable of a month ago. I tell myself that I am lucky to be doing this at all.  But the other less forgiving part of me repeats, "I am not an impostor, I am not an impostor" in my head every time I stop running for the walk portion. Why am I so hard on myself?
  In case anyone stumbles across this blog looking for information on pelvic stress fractures, I want to tell you a little about the return to running plan. First, there are stages and rules of progression. Each stage should last one week. I can increase the total time running by increasing the intervals by one each time I run. No back to back days. It's broken up into Stages 1-3 and Stages 4-8. Stage 1-3 are a steady walk and a very easy run focusing on form, increasing in intervals three times per week. My doctor started me at Stage 3.


  • Stage 1: 3 min walk/1 min run x5 (then x6, x7, etc)
  • Stage 2: 2 min walk/1 min run 
  • Stage 3: 2 min walk/2 min run
 Stages 4-8 are steady jogging and walking with a good gait and arm swing. This should be done no more than 4 times per week.


  • Stage 4: 4 min run/1 min walk x5 (then 6, x7, etc)
  • Stage 5: 6 min run/1 min walk
  • Stage 6: 7 min run/1 min walk
  • Stage 7: 8 min run/1 min walk
  • Stage 8: 9 min run/1 min walk
 The program recommends that I should use the 8/1 or 9/1 to build to the desired time (suggested 45-60 mins) using a slow to steady pace. After this, it has suggestions on how to start training for races, speed, and intensity. I will cross that bridge when I get to it. Right now, I just want to continue to run pain free! My legs and lungs seem to remember the process for the most part. Even though I have been using the elliptical, only running is running, and the body is a bit rusty. I managed to only gain 2lbs, but I lost some fitness. I did complete 3 days of running this week. I did 5, 5, and 6 interval repeats. I may do 7 intervals before I move to Stage 4. I have to learn to pace myself. I find myself trying to go faster and have to put on the brakes.
    Once I get through the first few stages, I will decide if the Richmond Half is the right race or if I need to look for something less ambitious. I have never run a 1/2 so it may be too challenging. Or just too much too soon. Maybe I should find an 8k or a 10k? I am open to suggestions! All I do know for sure is that I am back on the road and I plan on staying the course!



No comments:

Post a Comment