Monday, May 7, 2012

Like a Bird

 It's funny that I would decide to start a blog about running while I cannot run. Consider this my running blog about not running.  But, I have the heart and soul of a runner. Like a bird with a broken wing, I am injured but longing to fly. I drive now on the roads where I ran (and will run again!) and realize that I just don't think anymore. Well, obviously, I think, but I don't resolve anything. I don't have ideas, or those Eureka! moments. I just trudge along and hope I make it through.
 I guess I should give you some background. When I was in my twenties I went on a health kick. I quit smoking, starting running, ate well. Boy it felt good! But through tumultuous life I lost that drive. One day about 10 months ago I opened my eyes and remembered how good, how whole, I felt when my feet pounded the pavement. So, I started my running journey anew. I ran alone at about a 12 minute mile. I ran some more. Further, longer and faster. I ran with my dog. Short runs, fast runs, hills. I ran with some friends. I signed up for some races. A 5k, a 10k, another 5k. I joined a training group of complete strangers. I was so scared! Was I fast enough? Could I run with them and not get left behind and lost? Would they laugh at my gait and huffing and puffing? I researched training...fartleks, tempo runs, and stride. I was successful in the group and made friends. I still mostly ran alone. I can run an 8 minute mile. But my good runs, my "long" runs, averaged about a nine minute mile and I was happy there. It felt good and true.
 Then, it happened during a 5k I was totally ready for. I fractured my pelvis. I didn't know it at the time. I had been racing for about 5 minutes and feeling good. All of a sudden BAM! This stabbing pressure in my...crotch?  Is that right? My what hurts? Yes, it did and I couldn't understand it. I couldn't make sense of the pain coming from there. I was thinking, "It's never hurt there before." I tried to shake it off and forget it. I managed to finish the race in just under 28 minutes. But, instead of elation I felt fear. What is this? I told my friend what I was feeling and pointed, "Here!" Aaaah, your groin! My groin, yes, I pulled my groin.
 Fast forward through a doctor visit where he confirmed a groin pull and prescribed physical therapy. He suggested a pelvic fracture, but didn't think so. Fast forward through physical therapy where they misdiagnosed a thousand things that probably caused my pulled groin. Fast forward through another doctor's appointment, an x ray, and an MRI. Fast forward through finding the fracture, a visit to an orthopedist to confirm. Now pause on me being told to rest. And continue to pause, and pause. I have been on pause for over a month.
 So, now what? So now I figure out how to heal. I figure out how to not go crazy or get fat. I start a blog where I can type my thoughts out instead of run them out. I get to prove to you, reader, and to myself, that I can overcome this. That I can become a stronger and smarter runner. I may have to start back at a 12 minute mile. I will put one foot in front of the other again and again. I will push through the fear. I will rest when my body asks me to. I will run again. I will get to that happy place, my nine minute mile.
 Until next time...

1 comment:

  1. Shannon, I finally wrote back to you today, sorry it took me an eternity!

    There is hope at the end of this!! If I can come back from a 5 month pelvic stress fracture vacation from running and then run three successful marathons in the next year and a half, you can come back from this too!!!!

    ReplyDelete