Sunday, September 2, 2012

What I did on summer vacation

 If I had any followers, they may ask where I have been. Well, I have been out enjoying life! I have been running, I had a birthday, I went tubing on the James River and I have spent some quality time with my dog. The summer is nearly over so let's recap, shall we?

 Earlier in the summer my nephew came to visit. This kid is amazing! Of course he is, he is half my sister and she totally rocks! Anyway, I had him for a weekend. He is the same age as my youngest son. Some of my best memories as a kid are hanging out with my cousins and I hope our boys have these, too.  We played mini-golf, went out for dinner, and went to Belle Isle. If you ever visit Richmond, or have visitors if you're a Richmonder, Belle Isle always impresses. I may have had as much fun watching them as they had playing.


 Of course, I have done some running! I have been running anywhere between 3 and 5 miles every other day or so. I feel like I am getting stronger, although most of the time I am not feeling great during the run. Like, I haven't quite found my mojo. Oh well, I will keep trying! The good news is it's pain free. I truly believe I have beat this stress fracture thing. I am taking it nice and easy. I have not signed up for any races. I don't try tempo runs. I just keep it at a comfortable pace. Although Richmond does have a lot of hills! I am running different routes to keep it interesting. I am just enjoying the fact that I can run. I wish I had more friends to run with, though. I also have discovered running without music. I feel like I run more clear headed without it. I concentrate more on my breath, my feet, and myself. I got a Nike Sports Watch for my birthday. When I wear it I feel all "official" and serious.

 Speaking of my birthday, I turned 34 this year. Just typing it makes me feel old. But, my husband LOVES me, and made my birthday special! We went to my favorite restaurant, Strawberry Street Cafe, and I had the Chicken Marsala. Now, I have gone about 80% vegetarian. I only eat poultry and fish. I never eat beef or pork. I try NOT to eat poultry. If there is a fish option I take it. But the Chicken Marsala at this restaurant is like heaven on a plate! Oh so good!

 So, I mentioned I went tubing on the James River (aka The Rivah to the locals). We got a Groupon for a guided tubing river tour through River City Rafting. Me and a girlfriend from work decided that we needed some adventure. I brought hubby and my youngest son, and she brought her daughter, niece and her daughter's friend. We had SO MUCH FUN! I have a true phobia of being in my bathing suit in any public place, especially around friends. But, once we got out there, Woo Hoo! We went over rapids, got stuck on rocks, and floated for hours! There was a group of about 20, all shapes, sizes, ages, and genders, but when one tuber needed help the next tuber that floated by was there with an out -stretched hand to save the day! I hope we can do it again every summer.




 If you know me, (and you probably don't) you know that animal rescue is a cause near and dear to my heart. I donate to different local organizations, and volunteer my time to those I can. I have spent some of my time this summer doing just that. My dogs are rescues. Both were found abandoned as puppies and are now part of my family. Especially precious to me are pit bulls, as I feel they are misunderstood and judged unfairly based on fear and the actions of the minority. My dog Tori is my best friend. She is also very high energy and requires a lot of time and exercise. I have spent many evenings walking her and sometimes in the cooler weather running her, too. Today is part of Labor Day weekend and I took her out to the local little league fields to get some exercise (her not me, I ran 4.8 sweaty miles this morning). She met some kids and some grown ups. Most people are very impressed by her manners and affection. I hope her random meetings change a few minds about the stereotypical "pit bull".

And that is what I did on my summer vacation (between work and family duties) . What did you do on yours? I love the fall! The cooler air, the leaves, the kids going back to school. What season do you like best? Oh yeah, and if you read this blog, follow me okay?







No comments:

Post a Comment